Webster, New Hampshire was incorporated on July 4th, 1860 when it separated from its parent town and eastern neighbor, Boscawen. It was named was in honor of famed lawyer, legislator and orator Daniel Webster (1782 – 1852) who was born in Salisbury and practiced law in Boscawen.
The Blackwater River Dam, completed in 1941, changed the face of the town forever. The Federal Government acquired approximately 3,600 acres and mandated the removal of structures to create the flood control basin. Webster contributed over 1,100 acres to the project. Historical and recreational opportunities are linked to the dam and Blackwater River. Historic markers point out the original site of the Meeting House (before it was moved to its current location on Route 127), Stebbin’s Store, Burbank’s Bridge (which was lost in the 1936 flooding) along with other places of interest. For the sporty byway traveler, the Blackwater River provides some of the best kayak waters in the country during spring releases. It is the site of sanctioned paddling events each year and has hosted Olympic pre-trials.
Learn more at the town web site www.webster-nh.gov.